Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, February 21, 2011

Wasting Electricity in its Prime at 4a.m.


The other night, around 4.a.m., I was awoken by the sound of the wind and sleet hitting my window. While I tossed and turned hoping to fall back to sleep, I decided to get a glass of water downstairs from our kitchen to see if that would help. To my amazement, when I reached the bottom of the stairs to the main part of the house, I noticed that most of the lights were left on. The rooms were lit so brightly that you would have thought that a Hollywood movie was being filmed. I was even more startled to see that the front door of the house was proppedopen during the cold and snowy night allowing the heat to escape from the house and a perfect invitation for a burglar. It is disappointing to think that none of my housemates considered taking a few seconds of their time to turn off the lights before they went to bed as well as making sure that the door was closed and locked. Not only was their neglect a safety issue, but also a huge waste of electricity and money due to fact that only one of many lights in the house has an energy savings light bulb and a boiler from the 1950’s uses an absurd amount of energy to heat the large house. Maybe it would take a drastic measure such a burglary or an increase in rent to create change, but I sure hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment