Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, February 21, 2011

Only One Recycle Bin Downstairs….a Thousand Miles away From Everyone’s Room


The other day, as I was passing a garbage can located down the hall from my room, I happened to glance down and was stunned at what I saw. The garbage can was filled with a lot of material besides garbage including recyclable material, some of which had a five-cent return. This made me even more aware that the only bin that we use for recyclables in our house is located downstairs by the kitchen and for most of my housemates, must feel like thousands of miles away from their rooms. This confirms the reason why the recyclable bin is rarely used in the house, as one of my housemates said to me, “It’s easier to just throw recyclable or returnable material away because the recycle bin is just too far away from my room.” Now that I am aware of the problem, I am going to make sure that there are more recycle bins located throughout the house. As a result of this simple solution to save energy and money, hopefully we will now have enough recyclable deposit money for a Ferrari fund.

1 comment: