Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, February 28, 2011

Sunday Afternoon



Over the past weekend my house accumulated quite a bit of trash, as a result, several of us decided to do some housecleaning on Sunday afternoon. I influenced my housemates to help me break down the boxes for recycling and redeem the beverage containers that had a five-cent deposit. Since this is not the usual routine, as most of my housemates usually throw the things that they no longer need on the floor or in the nearest trashcan, they were surprised to see that we had filled five trash bags full of recyclables that would have otherwise ended up in the landfill. Moreover, my housemates are now listening to the slogan “money talks” by thinking twice about throwing cans and bottles in the trash because we made $14.80 going to the redemption center returning them for cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment