Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, February 27, 2011

1.1 : 1 : .1

Living in the Greens house (sill) I usually think that we are generally "green". However, for this weeks blog post I decided to look at the number of trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins per person. I found that in Sill house we have 12 trash cans, 11 recycling bins, and 1 compost bin. These numbers include receptacles in residents rooms and receptacles in common areas. This means that every sill resident is responsible for at least one and one eleventh ( about 1.1) of a trash can, one (1) recycling bin and one eleventh ( about .1) of a compost bin. This to me seems excessive especially since we are supposed to be "green". However, this doesn't take into account the fact that some trash cans are not used/emptied very often. Also the ratio of receptacles might not be an accurate measure of the actual rate of waste/recycling. Either way I thin that I am going to remove my trash can from my room and just use the one that is out in the hall. This will make me think more about what I am actually throwing out

No comments:

Post a Comment