Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Friday, February 18, 2011


I live on our family farm out in the country, which is mostly surrounded by fields and a few distant neighbors. When the weather gets nice, like today, trash on the side of the road becomes all the more visible. Since it is out in the country and on the back roads with few people around, drivers tend to think it’s alright to throw out their garbage on the road side or over the bank. For the past several years, from Spring to Fall, my sisters and I often go for walks and try to pick up the trash that litters the roads near our farm. We have found numerous bags of trash, bags full of clothes, boxes, and an array of bottles and cans, most of which are beer related oddly enough. For the past couple days I have noticed the usual pieces of garbage scattered along the road, so I decided that since the weather was nice I would go out and clean it up. With the help of my daughter, even though I wouldn’t let her touch any of it, all of the bottles, cans, cups and fast food wrappers in the first picture were collected and properly disposed of. As the second picture shows, we even stumbled upon a couch that someone left on the edge of a field; however we couldn’t do anything about that and unfortunately it had to stay there. I guess “out of sight, out of mind” is true for many people, especially when it comes to their garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment