Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, February 28, 2011

Decisions, Decisions..

As a Junior considering off campus housing next year I have been considering all of the basic utilities that I will have to take responsibility for that most of us seem to forget about while living on campus. These utilities include electricity, heat, water, and garbage disposal. While on campus we don't pay attention to the costs of the use of these utilities. Having experience living on my own you realize the difference between usage when you aren't responsible for paying for that usage. While on campus students leave lights on when they are not being used, take long hot showers, crank the heat, and throw away things that was still usuable. There is an excess of energy waste and physical waste on campuses by students that occurs everyday. I have witnessed students students open a window to cool down their rooms rather than lower the heat. The house I live in on campus has old windows that do not seal all the way when closed and locked. This causes us to run the furnace just to keep the house at a comfortable temperature. I have to consider the usage of these utilities when living off campus. I also have to consider who I want to pick up my garbage and recycling. I have been researching garbage disposal companies, local and national, to see who I want to pick up my trash. Most of these companies do not post rates on their websites but only post services they offer. I also noticed that many of the larger companies offer a wider variety of trash diposal and recycling options. I will have to consider the policies and rates of these trash removal services and decide on which company does the most for me. Decisions.. Decisions..

No comments:

Post a Comment