Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, February 6, 2011


This is my mini fridge, which I've had since freshman year. I didn't pay for this fridge, it was actually scavenged from when I visited this college during senior week. I remember seeing it amongst a pile of swivel chairs, Ikea-like bookshelves and piles of discarded clothes. I'm glad that someone decided to throw it out because I got it for free, however any student here can agree when the end of the year comes, the trash really piles up. It's hard for me to even call it trash because it's often piles of perfectly useful appliances that people were too lazy to bring to the convenient community barn sale. I have scavenged many things from these piles of laziness, however I wanted to show the image of my fridge because I can still vividly remember the pile of little white mini fridges that sat outside of North last year when people were moving out. There were literally about ten mini fridges sitting out by the dumpster, and I would have probably tried to shove one in my car if they hadn't all been sitting in the rain. Too lazy to donate a perfectly useful item to someone who could really use it, we place it by the dumpster and wait for the trash fairies to whisk it away while we drive home with a clear conscience.

This is a printer that has been sitting in the garbage room of my dorm, north, for weeks now. Despite the cleaning staff's regular garbage removal, they have chosen not to remove this printer. Obviously e-waste, seeing this printer here for weeks has made me realize I have no idea where e-waste disposal sites are on campus except for one haphazardly labeled box arbitrarily placed in Demarest. I have a hard time imagining people actually taking the effort to take their e-waste like old cell phones, batteries, printers, etc. to these random sites, perhaps it would be more logical to place them in dorms and have them removed by cleaning staff every month?


No comments:

Post a Comment