Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, February 27, 2011

This past Wednesday morning, I was walking to my car to go to hockey practice, and in the time it took me to walk the length of Cozzin's field I saw three 18-wheelers full of trash go by. Mind you it was 6:30 in the morning. And on my way back around 8:30, I saw two more. I poked around a little bit on the Casella website because I was curious as to what time they opened in the morning, but I could not find anything. It made me wonder, if they were accepting trucks that early in the morning, what time did they reach their daily tonnage limit? The photo quality is not great, but photography skills and sunlight are limited that early in the morning, but you can kind of make out the red cab of the truck in the center of the photo.
My other image this week is of my thermostat in my room in North. My heat has yet to kick on this semester, but the solar heating from all day sun and the residual heat from the rooms around me keep my room at a tropical 72-82 degrees. I try to keep my shade close during the hours of direct sun to cut down on the solar heating, but I just feel, especially with the 10%&10% campaign, turning down the heat in the dorms could save a lot of energy. Every dorm I have lived in on campus has been drastically over heated. I know this isn't garbage per say but it got me thinking about all of the extra waste that is generated to produce this heat. Royte, in book, discussed the importance of reduction, and I think it is something we need to look into...

No comments:

Post a Comment