Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, February 21, 2011

Neighbors Trash


While walking to campus a few days ago from my apartment, which is near 380 S. Main, I took notice of my neighbors trash. The trash gets picked up every week, and yet they still manage to fill two bins and then some. I am interested in what they are throwing out, or consuming, since my own building barely fills one can per week. On another note, I could not help but look at the old television that they had thrown away as well. In Elizabeth Royte's Geography of Garbage she talks about how certain metals found in televisions can be dangerous when put into landfills. Does Geneva even have a designated place to drop off old electronics for proper disposal? Two days after taking this photo I took another look at their trash pile. Several of the bags had been ripped open, and the trash was being blown into the road. The television had been smashed, the screen shattered, and some of the inside pieces were gone. For five days the pile of trash sat there, and not once did any of the people in the apartment come outside to pick any of it up

No comments:

Post a Comment