Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Friday, February 4, 2011

Both of these pictures were taken at the Ontario County Landfill here in New York, off of routes 5 & 20. I went here with a class in high school in 2009. The first picture was taken at the top of the landfill where we drove on the school bus to the top right behind the garbage trucks. We got to see everything that isn't visible from the road which was very eye-opening. We were surrounded by tons of reeking garbage, loud trucks, and hungry seagulls. I thought it was sad to see so many plastic bags throughout this mountain of trash as well as many other recyclable items. The second picture I thought was a perfect example of this place being a "mountain" of garbage. It is also a quite depressing and lifeless picture at the same time, perfect for describing a landfill. Actually being there put things into perspective for me about the process it takes for my garbage to get to a landfill and that it still exists. Seeing how much trash was brought in during the few hours we were there motivated me to reduce the amount of waste I produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment