Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, March 6, 2011

USA TODAY front page article





As I was walking through the Scandling Center, I noticed the front page article of the USA Today and then proceeded to read it. It talked about turning toilet waste water into drinking water. In the article, it explained that Singapore has begun to turn its waste water into drinking water because the country is reliant on other countries for their drinking water. The main reason for Singapore turning its waste water into drinking water is to be self-reliant. I once went to a lacrosse camp at the West Point Military Academy for a week and everyday, in order to get to the lacrosse fields, we had to walk past the waste water treatment plant. I found this disgusting because the smell and the thought of showering and brushing my teeth with what was once toilet water repulsed me. Needless to say, that was one reason I decided the military academy wasn't for me at the age of 14.

The thing that stuck out the most to me was that one of the experts they interviewed, he said that "Water is going to be the oil of the 21st century." That really opened up my eyes and kept me reading the article, in which I then learned that 1 out of every 8 people in the world don't have access to clean drinking water.

No comments:

Post a Comment