Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, March 13, 2011




Even though these two pictures I took in Sherrill Hall on campus are very general, I thought that they effectively represented the lack of recycling in the dorms. Every day I walk down the hall and see a full recycle bin, and then an over-stuffed garbage bin with all kinds of recyclable items in it as well. The most common are pizza boxes, cardboard boxes from beverages, plastic bottles, and food containers. I think that this is a problem because the bins fill up fast and students are forced to throw away recyclables, and also because they simply don't care which one it ends up in as long as it is out of their room. I don't think it is that much of an inconvenience to have to recycle, but for some people I guess it is. Like my Aunt's family for example who still doesn't recycle one thing in their household; I'm working on fixing that.
I believe that the increasing amount of waste in our landfills is a problem that needs to be known and understood in much greater detail in our country. People will then take it more seriously and think again before filling a trash can with cardboard or plastic. Through our school the message is being put out there on this level and hopefully we will see a drastic increase in recycling on campus. For those towns surrounding us, more changes need to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment