Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Different Types of Garbage

To see what the weather will be like out, I look out of my window every morning. Instead of just cars, one day this past week, I was greeted by a broken chair, an empty cardboard case of beer and a few empty cans, plastic cups and some miscellaneous trash. I was so upset by this sight, that I tried to talk to my neighbors about who might have left this mess for me to see, but no one wanted to take responsibility for it. I normally would have considered picking this up, but I decided to leave it there for my neighbors to see every time they walk out of their door. After a few days, I talked to one of them, and I asked them how they can leave this mess that is in their plan sight, and they said, "I don't even notice it." They said that they were so used to seeing red solo cups and empty beer cans that the trash pretty much blends in to the surroundings. Also, they did not consider the broken chair to be trash. They told me that they figured someone would fix it... someday. Have Americans become immune to the sight of trash? Do we see it so often that we don't really even notice it anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment