Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The old landfill



The other day I was talking to my dad about our class and we got on the topic of landfills. He told me that when he was a kid my grandfather would take the household trash and throw it into a gully located about a mile up the road where they lived. This practice had stopped many many years ago, but was common place in the past. I searched out the location of the old "dump" and found that its actually still being used as a dump site, but not for household trash. When I peered over the edge of the gully I could see piles of rotting cabbage. The farmers across the street now use it as a place to dispose of unwanted cabbage. I also noticed a couple pieces of scrap wood along with various other unwanted items. This location is on Healey Road just a couple of miles away, the gully is about 40-50 ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment