Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Casella Waste Systems




On Friday, 3/11/11, on my way to school I again found myself behind one of those dirty and grimy 18-wheelers. It even had some kind of plastic bags coming out from under the tarp, so I figured it was most likely on its way to the local landfill. As I was driving beside the truck I saw that it was a Casella truck. I wanted to know more about Casella so I did some looking around and found some interesting information. Casella Waste Systems, which was formed in 1978, is now in 34 states and owns or operates 13 landfills, 38 solid waste collection businesses, 32 waste transfer stations, and 38 recycling facilities. The waste management company continues to acquire more trash haulers, transfer stations, and landfills every year. As a result, in some areas Casella owns the full regional waste stream and thus, local governments are forced to pay higher prices for their waste disposal services. Like most other waste management companies, Casella has been charged and fined for many violations and many citizen groups have filed lawsuits against them. Casella Waste systems is one of the largest waste management companies and is continuing to grow, so you can expect to see many more problems with them in the future. I wonder just how many of these trucks they have on the road everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment