Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Use For Abandoned Houses Part 2


During one of my adventures to Ithica, my GPS led me astray while trying to find College Town Bagels (who has a terrific composting program, by the way). Coincidentally, my GPS led me to a parking lot behind a building that was zoned to be demolished. I could hear people working inside, but was not conscience of what was really going on. Upon further inspection, I found that Finger Lakes ReUse was demolishing the building. Finger Lakes ReUse is a non profit organization that specializes in the green deconstruction of buildings, as well as the operation of a computer reuse program. On this day, they were having a teaching day where they were allowing volunteers to come inside and learn how to deconstruct a building. Unfortunately, this was a time commitment that I was not able to make. I was able to watch through some of the windows, and the process seems understandable. The people inside were dismantling the building one piece at a time, saving the materials they took apart as they went. This company seems to be the perfect solution to the question of what to do with the abandoned buildings we see every day. For more information, visit http://fingerlakesreuse.org

No comments:

Post a Comment