Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Monday, April 4, 2011

These two photos were taken behind my apartment. During the winter I have seen tons of squirrels and birds picking at my neighbors trash. They always have too much trash in their cans to close the lids, thus making it accessible to the animals. While I thought that the trash men picked up the trash that had been spread about the drive way by the animals I was wrong. Most of it was simply covered up by the newest snowfall. Now that the snow has melted a pile of trash has slowly emerged across the drive from their cans. It has now been there for over two weeks, and is clear that the garbage men are not going to pick it up and neither are my neighbors. This incident makes me wonder how much trash gets covered up by the snow only to be reveled during the first major snow melt. This link leads to a video that talks about some of the garbage that has been found during the snow melt in West Springfield, Mass. http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/Garbage-found-underneath-melting-snow

No comments:

Post a Comment