Above, one of three mounds at the Seneca Meadows Landfill in Waterloo, NY, as seen from the west side of Seneca Lake approximately eight miles away (through a telephoto lens). Credit: Kevin Colton, HWS.

EPA Region Map

EPA Region Map
EPA Region Map

Sunday, April 3, 2011


In the Caird foyer lives what I consider to be one of the most wasteful, (unfortunately) useless institutions of the HWS Campus, the free paper program. Don't get me wrong. I am a hundred percent behind anything that attempts to educate individuals about the world they live in. I also have absolutely nothing against free stuff. In fact, I'm a SWAG junkie. However (and I urge you to investigate this for yourselves) an unforgivable amount of these papers go unread and a great many end up blowing around campus, cluttering doorways, and, ultimately, finding their way into the recycling or garbage can.

Is it necessary? I enjoy hardprint as much as the next person and honestly believe our campus benefits from having an accessible, free information source close at hand. But the volume in which we supply these stacks and, therefore, waste them seems frivolous and wasteful to me. Couldn't we order/ supply less or have them in fewer locations around campus? Those that actually want them would likely not mind walking next door for a paper. Just an idea but I implore everyone... just keep your eyes out for this kind of thing. Acceptance is the first stage to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment